Here's the first attempt:
There are two things I didn't like. First, it was too bare. The scene needed more. Second, and this has been rattling around in my brain since I first made this scene, I felt the pieces were too small. I wanted the animals to have more importance than the tree itself, so felt they needed to be larger. So back to the drawing board!
Here's the second attempt:
Right now the only I would change would be the eggs. I think they would have popped more if I had just made solid eggs instead. On the positive side, I love the size of the animals. They leave less negative space and the detail just turns out better the bigger the the images get.
I'm really very happy with version, except that now I'm going to have to go back and remake all my other characters! Oh well, I'll tackle it one month at a time. Next month, I'm making a new birthday scene since Rowan will be turning 3!
In other random news, there's a lot of new babies arriving in the next few months, including my first niece/nephew! So I'm thinking about making some burp clothes with cute appliqués on them. Maybe that will be a new line for my shop!