Sunday, January 12, 2014

Give Me a Can of Spray Paint

If you've been following me here or on Facebook, you'll know that I've been revamping my craft room.  My husband and rightly dubbed it "The Pretty Room".  The major parts are done (furniture, counter, walls painted) and now I'm just done to tweaking the little things.

Over the last week I've been plotting some of these little details.  The plotting resulted in a trip to the hardware store for spray paint and to Jo-Anne's for some fabric.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to the fabric part over the weekend, but I did do a bunch of painting!  First, the before pics:


The new thread rack I purchased.  Boring!



An old lamp (the plain white shade has been removed).



Generic cork board.



I forgot to get a clear picture, but the record albums on the wall have black frames.

Before we bought our house, I had never spray painted anything.  Now I'm just looking for excuses to spray paint anything I can get my hands my!  It's so amazing what a color change can do.

The thread rack, the lamp, and frames were all pretty straight forward.  The cork board, however, was a little tricky.  I had originally planned to remove the frame, paint it, cover the board in fabric and put it all back together.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered there was no way of taking it apart in a manner that left it in a state to get it back together.  So on to plan B!  My solution to the painting part was to place paper over the cork board and tape it down.


I have a plan for the fabric part, but as I said, I didn't make it that far this weekend.  While Rowan played in the sandbox, I took to the back yard with spray paint in hand.  The thread rack and cork board frame turned pink, the lamp silver, and the frames white.


God bless tarps.

After everything dried, I excitedly brought it all in to put back into place.  The thread rack and lamp I instantly loved.


Thread rack up close


Thread rack a little further away


silver lamp with new PINK shade

I adore the pink shade I got for the lamp and plan to put some white pom trim on the bottom of it.  I'll try to take some pictures at a different time of day to get the colors to look better.  The pink really pops against the blue wall.

The cork board frame looks a little blah against the brown of the cork board, but I think once I cover it with my pretty fabric it will look pretty stellar.




What I'm not sold on are the frames.  I painted them white because I didn't the pink would look right with all 3 of the album covers they surround.  Once I got them on the wall, though, they just don't pop enough.  

I'm considering painting the two on the ends the same teal as the cabinets and the middle one pink.  What do you think?  My second thought would be to make them silver, but I don't think that would be much better than the white.  On the up side, the white is way better than the black!

Here's a little peek at the fabric I'm planning on using for the curtains and the cork board:


It's so perfect!  A white background with lots of pink and just a smidge of blue to match the walls.  I can't wait to see it all done.  That's my goal for the next week!  What's yours?











No comments:

Post a Comment