Monday, January 14, 2013

Rock Me Baby!

When I was a little kid, my grandparents bought me and my brother these cute little rockers.

Yep, that's me, playing Atari.

This summer, my parents in Kansas managed to get my chair to me in California.  Now, keep in mind, this chair is almost 30 years old.  It still had good bones, but the upholstery was pretty worn.  Not mention that the seat was all sunk in.

So being the crafty person that I am, I decided my surely my husband and I could reupholster this!  Walt took it all apart (I couldn't seem to get any of the staples out myself) then I made a trip to to Jo-Annes to find some fabric.  None of the upholstery fabric really caught my eye.  I really wanted something that would not only blend in with my living room, but would be fun for a kid.  & it needed to be sturdy!  Three trips to fabric stores later, I decided on a nice brown denim.  It's rugged enough to take some wear and tear and nice solid shade that shouldn't "date" in a few years.  But it was plain.

Enter Urban Threads!  This is one of my favorite companies.  They specialize in modern, edgy embroidery designs.  I've used them for all sorts of projects.  For this one, I used a pattern called Mr. Georgeaffe, since Rowan's lovey is a giraffe :)  Then I used my cricut to cut out his name (I'll do a blog sometime on how to use your cricut machine to cut out letters).  All the fabric had Wunder-Under on the back, so I ironed it onto the back piece of fabric.  I then sewed around the edges using a zig-zag stitch on my machine.  I'm just not convinced that Wunder-Under alone will withstand my rambunctious toddler!  Last, my loving husband reassembled the chair with his handy-dandy staple gun!



I really think if the whole nuclear engineering thing doesn't work out for my husband, we might have a future in furniture upholstery :)

This project turned out super cute and I'm so glad that I could pass my old chair down to my son.  He's already sat in it to watch "Mih-he" (Mickey Mouse) and turned it over to "fix" it.

No comments:

Post a Comment