Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Time for a Big Boy Room

Sigh.  My little boy is getting older.  He just turned two last month.  Originally, I had his room all done up in classic Winnie the Pooh.


Wow.  That mobile has been long gone for quite some time.  And yes, feel free to laugh at the screaming baby.  I didn't realize you could actually see him crying until quite awhile after taking that picture, then just never got around to taking a better one.  The characters on the wall behind him were all vinyl clings that were a part of the set.  I loved the idea of the clings.  They filled up that big blank wall and could easily be moved/removed. 


Here they are on a closet door in his room in the apartment we lived in when we first brought him home.  When we moved, I just placed them on wax paper, rolled them up, and transported them to the house!  Super easy!

Anyways, I figure Rowan's probably getting a little old for Pooh Bear.  He's currently obsessed with tractors, so I thought maybe I could find some tractor vinyl clings to "grow things up" a bit.  My goal was to not spend a fortune, so in a year or two when he's moved on to something else, I can just replace the clings.  

First of all, there really aren't any RED tractor clings out there.  My dad sells case, so the green John Deer ones are out.  I checked out Etsy to see if I could have something custom made, but since I wanted a super big something, I couldn't find anything for less than about $80.  That was a liiiiitle bit more than I was hoping to spend.

So my next thought was was, "Hey!  I've cut vinyl on my Cricut before, maybe I could just make my own wall cling!".   That was the beginning of a very long, headache inducing  process.

Turns out (after much googling and smashing my head against my desk) that you can't cut anything on your Cricut that's larger than your mat.  It won't let you.  Poop.  Now I had to rethink entirely what I was going to do.  And of course, I had already bought all the vinyl.

So after some teeth gnashing, here's what I came up with:


I really like having his name up there because that could possibly stay even when the tractors come down someday.  I still think it needs a little something.  I do have a Cricut cartridge that has a bunch of cute animals, so maybe I'll scatter some little farm animals around to help fill it in.

Sigh.  Look at that.  No mobile.  Toddler rail.  Pillow.  Next thing I know he'll be driving and dating.  Heaven help us!



No comments:

Post a Comment